Understanding how you can help
This page is currently under review and the content will be updated soon.
- Listen to them and believe them, without judging
- Do not underestimate the situation. The abusive partner has deliberately tried to break down the victim’s confidence and they may feel stupid, hopeless and responsible for the abuse.
- Build their confidence, respect their decisions and tell them about the services available
- Offer practical help such as looking after the children, transport, or going with them to court or to see a counsellor
- Stay in touch and maintain your support, especially following a separation
- If the victim chooses not to leave the abusive relationship it is very important to stay connected and continue offering support.
Download our domestic and family violence factsheet.