How can gambling affect me?
This page is currently under review and the content will be updated soon.
You might experience some of the following:
• Spend more money and time than you intend to on gambling
• Feel guilty and ashamed about your gambling
• Try to win back your losses
• Miss important things in life such as family time, work, leisure activities or appointments because of gambling
• Think about gambling every day
• Have arguments with friends or family about your gambling
• Lie or steal to get money for gambling
• Get into debt or struggle financially due to gambling
• Worry about any other aspect of your gambling activities.
The impacts of problem gambling can be far-reaching and may include:
- Debt or other financial problems
- Relationship problems
- Loss of employment or problems at work
- Mental and emotional health concerns
- Negative impacts on family, especially children - may start getting in the way of being a good parent
- Loss of control and addiction - gambling can be addictive and starts to take over. It can be hard to stop even when you know it is causing you and your family harm.
Download our gambling factsheet.